Lagoon Operation & Maintenance
Thursday, August 27th, 2020 - 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Smitty's Restaurant - 145 Park Rd W
Clearspring Centre Mall, Steinbach, MB
Rob Boswick –Environmental Engineer, Sustainable Development
Larry Markwart - Environmental Compliance and Enforcement, MB Conservation and Climate
Tanner Devlin – Nexom
Mike Heppner – City of Steinbach Waterworks
• Lagoon Theory and Design – treatment processes, loadings, site assessment, general features;
• Liners – soil, synthetic, combos;
• Construction and Inspection – methods, equipment, liner sampling and lab analysis;
• Sludge – impacts, management and disposal options;
• Federal Activities – Wastewater Systems Effluent Regulation and Biosolids Interests.
• Environment Act Proposal Review – public and Technical Advisory Committee involvement, Licence development;
• Operation and Maintenance – typical license requirements, new limits, problems, nutrients.
Also includes PHOTOS of REAL EXAMPLES of lagoon features, operation, failures, improvements, sludge removal, aeration (brief).
Topics for discussion:
• Environment Act Licences
• Operation and Maintenance
• Emergency Discharges
12:00 – 1:00 pm Lunch
• Brief overview of lagoon types (facultative/aerated)
• Odor control
• Evolving regulations and subsequent impact on lagoon performance
o Toxicity limits
o Phosphorus limits
o Total Nitrogen limits
• Lagoon technology, design and operational changes relating to changing regulations
• Daily Inflow / metered or not
• BOD loading rate calculations
• Perimeter Dike security and inspections
• Cell separation chambers / locks
• Cell level measurements
• Monitoring wells
The Manitoba Water and Wastewater Association will not assume any responsibility for injury, disease, virus, loss of life or lost or stolen articles at any MWWA function by delegates, exhibitors and/or speakers. Please go into your MWWA account to register and pay for the Workshop. Payment for the workshop must be received by the MWWA office before Monday, August 24th, 2020.
You can purchase an MWWA Membership at: https://mwawa.wildapricot.org/join-us
If you do not have an MWWA account, you can still register at the non-member rate.
Course fee includes lunch, refreshments and course materials.
In the event of attendee no show, refunds will not be issued.
Substitutions will be permitted.
Participants in this workshop are eligible for 0.6 CEUs under the Manitoba Operator Certification program.