Operators perform daily activities primarily consisting of the control of the water treatment process, which impacts the quality of potable water. This may include performance of daily maintenance, laboratory, administration, special study, engineering work, or duties with respect to reservoirs, and pumping stations.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Monitor and respond to waterworks and wastewater alarms 24 hrs/day, initiate all corrective action that is required.
· Respond to emergency calls and alarms for regional waterworks systems.
· Operate treatment facilities and pump houses as per provincial and federal guidelines and approvals.
· Control, investigate and correct operational issues pertaining to Pump-House and Reservoir pressures, flows, demands, levels, quality, complaints and alarms.
· Participate, distribute, and update contingency plans outlining procedures for rapid correction of emergencies, such as power outages, equipment failures, flooding, system contamination, etc.
· Draft, develop, and review written documents pertaining to safety, operation procedures, treatment plant inspections, etc., which include reference to best practices.
· Observe and report water treatment plant abnormalities (treatment appurtenances) and arrange for maintenance issues to be corrected by creating work orders.
· Drawdown testing, and calibration of various chemical dosing pumps and equipment.
· Daily lab testing of water (raw, post filter, treated) and chemical quality.
· Perform jar testing to help determine proper dosing requirements, adjust chemical dosing as required to optimize treatment.
· Monitor the operation and standby power source to assure continuous operation of the water treatment plant and distribution system.
· Train and mentor junior operators and co-op students in the operation and maintenance of the water treatment plants and distribution systems.
· Use, maintain, and calibrate lab equipment and online analyzers.
· Receive, transport, manage inventory of chemicals.
· Handle, transfer, and mix a variety of chemicals related to water treatment and lab testing.
· Data recording and analysis.
· Review monthly reports for preparation of the annual report.
· Manage, and optimize filter backwashing, and de-sludge times.
· Water sampling to meet licence requirements (bacti’s, schedule 4s, THMs. chlorine, turbidites, other parameters based on licenses).
· General housekeeping of facilities (cleaning, painting, etc.).
· Check and confirm the operation of distribution pump station during power outages and emergencies.
· Analyze SCADA trends and set points for correct operation noting and reacting to abnormalities or irregularities with turbidity, mono-chloramines, chlorine etc.
· Ensure distribution system bacteriological sampling is completed routinely and correctly for the entire distribution system.
· Open and close valves in pump station to control direction of flow and pressures when required. Turn pumps on and off when required.
· Operate and maintain plant waste management system, high rate gravity thickeners, and other waste processes.
· Operate and maintain sewage lift stations and lagoons in consultation with Wastewater Treatment operators.
· Respond to customer inquiries relating to water quality, quantity, treatment, or distribution.
· Obtain training and sign off for the operation of other miscellaneous mobile equipment (such as Bobcat, Toolcat and Forklift) for water treatment operations as required.
· Perform other related duties as required.