Hours of Work:
40 hrs/week inclusive
of Saturday & Sunday
Under the general direction of the Manager of Utilities, the Utility Operator is responsible for performing duties related to the operation, monitoring, repair and maintenance of all water and wastewater treatment facilities for the Corporation.
In order to meet compliance with Provincial Legislation, the Utility Operator is required to assume the role of Operator In Charge on a rotational basis with fellow Utility Operator staff or as directed by the Manager of Utilities.
YOUR JOB DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:1. Utilities Operation and Maintenance
2. Treatment Process
- Operation of main equipment at the Water Treatment Plant (WTP) and Raw and Treated Water Pumping Systems.
- Operation of main equipment at the Sewage Treatment Plant (STP), U.V. Disinfection System, Decant Lagoon and Pumping Stations.
- Operation of the Domestic Drinking Water Wells that are utilized for the supply of raw water to the City.
- Sewage Lift Stations that are utilized for collection of wastewater in the City.
- Operation of Retention Ponds including pumping stations.
- Perform required tests, checks and sampling for monitoring of treatment processes. Such tests as, but not limited to:
- Daily Free and Total Chlorine Tests
- Daily Turbidity Tests
- Daily pH tests
- Daily Maintenance Management Reports and Notes
- Daily Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Bicarbonate Tests
- Bi-weekly Bacteriological Sampling
4. Building and Equipment Operation and Maintenance
- Maintain and update as required daily records of operation of treatment facilities, Such records as, but not limited to:
- Daily Testing Logs
- Daily Equipment Logs
- Daily RW Intake and TW Production
- Daily Maintenance Management Reports and Notes
- Bi-weekly microbiological sampling and testing
- Weekly Time and Equipment Sheets
5. On Call Rotation
- Operate small equipment and a variety of hand tools as related to treatment facilities.
- Carry out general building and grounds maintenance at all water and wastewater facilities.
- Assist outside contractors when performing repairs at treatment facilities.
- Perform routine checks, minor servicing, cleaning and basic maintenance of the equipment they are operating.
- Inform the Manager and/or Mechanic of any required maintenance or safety problems with equipment they are operating, and to complete or assist in completion of repair/installation of City owned equipment/property.
- Assist in shutdowns and cleaning of lime clarifiers.
6. Provide support and training to other employees within the department as required; to provide training and assistance to other municipal staff as required.
7. Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- Respond within 30 minutes to Alarm from the SCADA system at the WTP. Monitoring Station when on call and be on rotating shift emergency call from 5:00 p.m. – 8: a.m. during weekdays and 24 hours on weekends. To assist on call personnel in an emergency situation if required.
SPECIFICATIONS/QUALIFICATIONS1. Education, Knowledge and Experience Minimum Requirements
- Grade 12 Education with courses in Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics & Electrical Theory.
- Possess Certification in Level III Water Treatment Plant Operator License - Province of Manitoba (time requirement and pass exam)
- Possess Certification in Level II Water Distribution Facility Operator - Province of Manitoba (time requirement and pass exam)
- Possess Certification in Level II Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator License - Province of Manitoba (time requirement and pass exam)
- Possess Certification in Level II Wastewater Collection Facility Operator – Province of Manitoba (time requirement and pass exam)
- Must be capable of assuming the position of Operator in Charge as required under Provincial Legislation Mandatory Certification Process on an on going rotational basis with fellow Utility Operators or as directed by the Manager of Water/Wastewater Treatment Facilities
- A minimum of four (4) years experience within a similar Water/Wastewater Treatment Facility operation in a municipal corporation, or comparable education and training
- Possession of a Valid Class 5 Manitoba Drivers License
- Computer proficient and able to operate a desktop PC with a Windows environment. Experience and proficiency with the following software is required: Word and Excel
- Experience in the use of SCADA and PLC programs and equipment that the operator will have to utilize in the day-to-day running of the various facilities within the City of Selkirk
- Ability to maintain records in written and computer based format, as well as good attention to detail
- Experience in techniques of plumbing, mechanical, minor electrical and other generally accepted maintenance techniques
- Experience in the operation of designated equipment and power tools.
- Possess valid CPR/First Aid Certification
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and possess certification in Confined Space Entry Training
- Must be able to work at heights which may include ladders, scaffolding and to be able to climb the water tower when required
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. This includes the ability to understand written and verbal instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contact, and the public in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Policy.
- Knowledge and understanding of the occupational hazards, safety precautions, regulations and procedures that are applicable to the area of work
- Demonstrated competence in safe work practices
- Must be physical able to perform all the laboring aspects or other duties associated with the position
Human Resources, City of Selkirk, 200 Eaton Avenue, Selkirk, Manitoba R1A 0W6
FAX #: 1-204-482-5448 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 204-785-4900
Thank you to all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For a copy of the full job description please visit our website, myselkirk.ca.
The City of Selkirk is dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Applicants who require accommodation during the hiring process are encouraged to contact the City’s Human Resources Division via the information provided in the Contact Information section of this posting.
NOTE: Employees will be required to adhere to the City’s Vaccination Policy.