UTILITIES SUPPORT PERSON
UTILITIES DEPARTMENT - R.M of East St. Paul
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Hours of Work – This is a seven-day a week operation. Employees work eighty (80) hours within a two-week period (including rotating weekends). *The ability and willingness to accept Standby Time and/or respond to emergency call back or call out is also a requirement. The ability to work weekends and holidays as required.
Opening Date: June 24, 2020
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is secured. However, screening may begin as early as Monday, July 13, 2020.
Compensation: $19.90 – $30.61 (dependent upon qualifications/credentials)
Job Summary: Reporting to the Utilities Supervisor, the Utilities Support Staff person; supports the general operation of the department, monitors and reports on department performance, performs basic equipment maintenance, conducts general building maintenance and performs other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the general operations of the department by;
- Providing routine inspections on equipment; motors, pumps, analyzers, wells and supply lines as required,
- Investigating and correcting, and or seek support to correct operational issues,
- Maintaining and updating procedural manuals,
- Receiving transporting and managing chemicals,
- Monitoring and responding to emergency alarms/calls,
- Responding to resident/customer inquiries,
- Adhering to Workplace Safety & Health Standards and operational policies, procedures and processes.
- Monitor and report on department performance by;
- Performing, or have performed by a third-party, lab tests on water and waste water samples,
- Testing and recording daily chlorination residuals,
- Ensuring test results and other pertinent data is recorded as per department procedures and protocols,
- Creating reports (daily, weekly, monthly, annually, and/or as required).
- Perform basic equipment maintenance by;
- Conducting routine visual inspections prior to use,
- Cleaning, lubricating, and replacing basic parts as required,
- Ordering, or requesting the ordering of required replacement parts,
- Performing basic equipment repairs,
- Recommending to the supervisor the need to replace and or upgrade equipment.
- Conducts general building maintenance by;
- Conducting routine cleaning as per procedures,
- Responding to building issues that arise in a timely manner and with a concern for safety,
- Ordering, or ensuring the ordering of necessary cleaning supplies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ability and willingness to accept Standby Time as required and/or respond to emergency call back or call out as required. The ability to work weekend and holidays as required.
Core Skills Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge in the safe use, operation and preventative maintenance of equipment associated with waste water, and water services,
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to Workplace Safety and Health legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with residents/customers in a respectful manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team; establishing and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical diagrams and or building plans.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
Credentials and Experience:
· Completed Grade 12, GED, or the equivalent.
· One or more of the following certificates would be considered an asset;
- Water Treatment I
- Waste Treatment II
- Waste Collection II
- Water Distribution II
· Post-secondary education in a mechanical, engineering, applied science or related field considered an asset.
· Valid Province of Manitoba driver’s class five (5) license,
· Experience in basic maintenance of equipment (motors, pumps, analyzers and other technical instruments).
· WHMIS Certification, or the ability to attain.
· Experience in in sewer and water installation and maintenance, and or experience in municipal government considered an asset.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
· Work requiring the exertion of up to 50 pounds of force constantly to move objects,
· Work requires climbing, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, and grasping,
· Work in confined spaces, at depths of 25 feet,
· Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word,
· Hearing is required for operation of machines, and operation of motor vehicles or equipment,
· Ability to work inside and outside regardless of environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, rain/snow and noise.
Submit resume and cover letter in confidence;
- · By mail or in person in a sealed envelope marked APPLICATION – UTILITIES SUPPORT STAFF - OPERATIONS, Attention Rhonda Tone, R.M. of East St. Paul, Unit #1 – 3021 Bird’s Hill Road, East St. Paul, Mb. R2E-1A7
- · By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please contact;
Rhonda Tone, CPHR (204) 594-4403, Rural Municipality of East St. Paul
HR Consultant, email@example.com
The R.M of East St. Paul wishes to thank all candidates for their interest in this position, however, only those individuals considered for an interview will be contacted.